December 21, 2010

flow of gratitude

(me on Mt. Washington, Sept. 2010)


"when you can't run, you crawl,
and when you can't crawl,
you find someone to carry you"
-cptn malcolm reynolds,
from firefly


coming home for the holidays always feels like being dunked into a pool of gratitude - it doesn't even feel intentional, I just feel flooded with thanks. with each year, I feel like there are more places I call home and more people I feel grateful to come home to. As I get farther on this path to becoming a doctor, and especially as I prepare to embark on a year living out of a suitcase calling different states, hospitals, and rented condos home, I realize just how important it is that we carry each other.

as the new year approaches, I find myself reflecting on the past year and creating intentions for the next - hoping I'll live just a little more closely to my values. Here are some lessons from 2010 and intentions for 2011 inspired by the many wise people in my life.


lessons and intentions:

*
get outside
*
strive for more impact on people, less on the earth
*
be a good loser, winner, and beginner
*
connect to a greater community
*
and a smaller community
*
call on your support systems when you need them
*
remember your inner child
*
try something that seems too big, too hard
*
remind yourself that you don't have to believe everything you think
*
reacquaint yourself with your internal rhythm
*
there are many ways to stay in touch with people; try them all
*
everyone wants to feel competent, valued, and loved
*
when in doubt, choose happiness



what are your intentions for 2011? what did you do well in 2010?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it."
-Dune, by Frank Herbert

No comments:

Post a Comment