December 16, 2012

look for the helpers

This week's horrifying news of children dying in CT has definitely left me and those I love more shaken than I thought.  The two thoughts that came to me first were: (1) this shows how little we can predict about what will happen, no matter how safe we make sure we and the people we love are, and (2) this emphasizes how much we need to take care of each other on every level, whether that's getting to know your neighbors, to be there fore your family and friends, or to fund mental health services and outreach programs to help people who need even more help.

The best response I have heard was on NPR who quoted the wonderful Fred Rogers on how to cope with the fear and sadness happening around you:

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. 
You will always find people who are helping." 
To this day, especially in times of "disaster," I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world."

I definitely look for the helpers - and more and more strive to be one myself.

Fred Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment