September 14, 2013

Autumn Reading List



one of my dreams since moving to DC has been to join a book club.  it seems like everyone is in them here.  I want to be one of the people who meets up with brilliant, clever, funny people to discuss how a book made them think, feel, wonder differently about the world.  I'm in the process of scouting a few book club options, but in the meantime, here's my personal fall reading list:

1. When Everything Changed by Gail Collins
a nonfiction account about the truth, myths and mystery in the US women's revolution

2. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
nonfiction account of a 16yo with terminal cancer who is just. so. freaking. hilarious and profound

3. A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth
a full immersion story about relationships and life in India

4. Expecting Better by Emily Oster
a chicago economist takes on the data about pregnancy recommendations

5. Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science by Atul Gawande (a  re-read)
a book about how medicine is human

6. The Collected Work of Nikki Giovanni by Nikki Giovanni
a book of poetry by one of the most wonderful modern poets

7. A Spiritual Guide to Midwifery by Ida May Glass
a nonfiction account of Ida May's midwifery practice from beginning to present day

8. A Practical Wedding by Meg Keene
because, you know, I'm planning a wedding but don't want to be a crazy, silly bride

9. Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris
my official book club book and one of the FUNNIEST authors ever. I'm so excited

10. The Guernesy Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
recommended by several friends, entirely of letters during WW2

what's on your reading list?  what should I add to mine?
Also, I love the paintings of people's bookshelves in Jane Mount's book - I keep thinking about what would be on my idea bookshelf.  Maybe at some point I'll have to actually design one and draw it out.


photo credit: idealbookshelf by Jane Mount

No comments:

Post a Comment