June 25, 2010

On Transitions

Before I left my country home, I was sitting on our brand new (ish) back porch with one of my room mates talking about leaving. She reminded me that humans adapt so much more easily than we anticipate we will. Transitions are hard for everyone - humans fear change more than anything - except boredom, maybe. And I think that's what saves us.

Tonight, on another porch, with old friends from my life in this city, talking about soccer games, relationships, and memories, it feels like maybe those two porches aren't really the worlds away they seem sometimes.

as I get older, the more I realize that goodbyes are really see you laters and try to embrace the transitions as the present. As I biked back from the clinic today, I was thinking of things that I have learned help smooth transitions for me, maybe by bringing me to the present:

-being outside
-talking with people I love
-finding something inspiring
-wandering around, getting lost, getting un-lost
-dancing

and one thing that I am not doing well right now, but find that I need more of in transitions is time by myself - to not think about anything in particular, but just let my thoughts wander. like biking in the rain back after a day of talking about sexual practices, STDs, and learning how to give a pelvic exam.

yup, lots to think about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Sometimes when I'm talking, my words can't keep up with my thoughts. I wonder why we think faster than we speak. Probably so we can think twice.”
-Bill Waterson
(author of Calvin & Hobbes)

No comments:

Post a Comment