November 19, 2012

be it what it will

(via 365 Days of Hand Lettering: Day 305)
This is the first big deep breath in my travels in over two and a half months (including 7 cross-country flights, 3 car rides of 6+ hours, not sleeping in the same bed for more than 2 nights in a row) - and it feels so good to just. breathe.

which is not to say my travels didn't have some huge benefits.  besides being so grateful for interviews, they let me visit new places and see friends and family that I wouldn't otherwise get to travel to see this often (of course that just makes me think: why am I not doing this more?)

I've also become exceedingly good at knowing just what I need - no more, no less - which makes me reflect now on my house full of stuff and wonder why I have it all.  turns out most of what I need on a daily basis can fit in my little backpack.

and probably the best part of these travels is because I've confronted so many situations that are just barely out of my control (a plane delayed, a store not open, a friend having to work late so not being able to pick me up), I've come to trust my own ability to take things as they come so much more.

instead of trying to over-plan for every possible scenario, I try to just set myself up with the resources and information I need, and trust that I'll be able to figure it out.
and not carry too much - that's definitely a big help in being more flexible while traveling.
that could probably be both literally and figuratively, actually.

what I've learned in these travels:
don't carry so much.

~~~~~~~
"I know not all that may be coming,
but be it what it will
I will go to it laughing"
-herman mellville, in moby dick


No comments:

Post a Comment