August 9, 2013

not to seek

I have been trying to restart my yoga practice and think I've finally found a studio that gives me the spiritual and physical work-out I need, with more emphasis on the former than I realized I needed.  I talk often with friends and family about the search for a spiritual community in our highly-educated, agnostic and scientific lives.  Especially as I get closer to establishing my own new family and going through the rites of marriage (most of which we are adapting and blending from all the spiritual and community traditions we like), I find myself thinking more about how to cultivate this part of my life - both within myself and as a more public acknowledgement of spirituality as an important part of my life.  

so for you, a public acknowlegement of this with a quote from Rumi and my favorite chant we have done in yoga class lately, the Gayatri Mantra.

"your task is not to seek for love, 
but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself 
that you have built against it"
-Rumi



the literal translation of this repetitive chant is:
"May we attain that excellent glory of Savitar the god:
so that he may stimulate our prayers"

No comments:

Post a Comment