February 4, 2011

On Waking


Question: what prayer or saying do you feel resonates with you right now?

so I have a complicated relationship with religion and spirituality, which I think can be said for most people - especially most people around my age who are far enough from the traditions of their parents and close enough to figuring out what traditions they will want to have for their own children to be thoughtful about what moves them.

that said, there are a few prayers that really resonate with me, that I find myself filing away for other times in my life and to share with my friends and family. the poetry and prayers written by John O'Donahue are particularly special. here's one of my current favorites that's short enough to say every morning to welcome the possibilities a new day brings; enjoy:


On Waking
by John O'Donohue

I give thanks for arriving
Safely in a new dawn,
For the gift of eyes
To see the world,
The gift of mind
To feel at home
In my life,
The waves of possibility
Breaking on the shore of dawn,
The harvest of the past
That awaits my hunger,
And all the furtherings
This new day will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment