November 9, 2012

waiting for a sign

a sign
source

I have been interviewing and planning interviewing for residency for a little while now, with the end of the planning - and deliberations of which program is the best fit - still too far off to be in sight.

But I'm reading a series of books for my "Medical Leadership" elective, including Malcolm Gladwell's Blink, where I found a lot of evidence that perhaps I should not worry so much about collecting all the data, and just pay attention to how I feel at these different programs.  This sentiment is summed up by Gladwell at the end of the book with this incredibly helpful quote:

"When making a decision of minor importance, I always have found it advantageous to consider all the pros and cons.  In vital matters, however, such as the choice of a mate or a profession, the decision should come from the unconscious, from somewhere within ourselves.  In the important decisions of personal life, we should be governed, I think, by the deep inner needs of our nature"
-Sigmund Freud

No comments:

Post a Comment