March 29, 2012

amid the noise and haste

I finally (FINALLY!) moved into my new beautiful house this weekend (photos coming!). And while we are not quite unpacked, I've washed two months worth of laundry, baked bread, and curled up in bed reading, so I feel like we're getting there.  The past month year has been such a trial on my soul.  Not just because of the long hours, lack of sleep, moving every 6 weeks to start something completely new for which I was inevitably not fully prepared, and being the bottom of every hierarchy I was aware of, but also because all of those things made it harder for me to feel curious, passionate, connected, centered - in short, I have not felt like my best self for a while now.  This past weekend, while moving, I lost my voice (probably a viral laryngitis, no biggie), and also injured my hand so that I can neither talk nor do many basic life things (but I'm learning how to brush my teeth with my left hand) - but then I thought:
maybe this is the universe telling me to stop talking and LISTEN.  stop doing and LISTEN.
and then I found this poem 
(which I think is best when read aloud)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7d_s2rHOfKE/T1gRaIiGAlI/AAAAAAAAODg/91XrG2Nj0GY/s1600/house2.jpg

Desiredata: A Poem for a Way of Life 
by Max Ehrmann

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly,
and listen to others,
even to the dull and ignorant;
they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit.
if you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be
greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career
however humble;
it is a real possession in the
changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you
to what virtue there is;
may persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love,
for int he face of all aridity and disenchantment,
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit
to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars'
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore, be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.

With all it's shame, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful and strive to be happy.

1 comment:

  1. I love this poem! Thanks for sharing. It's always good to read this. Hope the new digs are great.

    ReplyDelete