February 13, 2013

citizenship

"As Americans, we all share the same proud title: we are citizens."
- Obama, State of the Union 2013
 
I've been thinking a lot about what it means to "be a good citizen".
Particularly when I get really busy, I think I tend to be less of a "good citizen", but it's something I believe very strongly in (thank you parents, grandparents, friends!) and always feel better when I'm more engaged in my citizenship.
 
What does being a good citizen mean to you?
 
I'm still brainstorming, but what it means to me is:
 
(1) be kind.
it's simple but the most important thing
to take care of each other
 
(2)  be curious.
learn about the issues that affect you,
from many (not just both) sides

(3) be the democracy.
do something about it.
write. lobby. discuss. vote.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment